Children with normal hearing may behave as if they have a hearing loss and exhibit a variety of listening complaints.
Indicators of APD:
- Difficulties in following conversation in presence of background noise
- Auditory discrimination difficulties in similar sounding words
- Difficulties in following directions
- Asking for repetitions
- may present with a short attention span
- Difficulties in reading or spellings
- May present as being easily distracted
Assessment of APD
Management plans are tailored by dually qualified Speech Pathologist and Audiologist to suit individual auditory processing deficit profile.
APD evaluation can be done for people with:
- Adequate understanding to respond to the test instructions
- Adequately sufficient cognitive function
- 6 years and above
A battery of special tests is administered to assess auditory processing difficulties.